Gloria P. Thompson NCAA Division III Scholarship
Gloria Pollard Thompson was the “mother” of age-group diving in the United States and a diving coach for 72 years. Known for her commitment to excellence and passion for diving, Ms. Thompson served the sport she loved in multiple ways. During her career Ms. Thompson volunteered as Chair of the National AAU Age-Group division, acted as Secretary-Treasurer of the Virginia Diving Association, chaired the first international age-group diving competition in the United States, and coached at the Country Club of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, and the University of Richmond. In recognition of her career-long contributions to the sport, Gloria received the United States Diving Glenn McCormick Award in 2002 and later, the WHOSAM Award, a prestigious life achievement honor given by Olympic Champion Sammy Lee. Consistent with her lifelong dedication to the sport, Ms. Thompson endowed this scholarship through the United States Diving Foundation (USDF), and thereby generously established this scholarship to support student-athletes in their effort to pursue their diving dreams.
The Gloria Pollard Thompson Scholarship may be awarded annually to an enrolled student participating on the diving team at an NCAA Division III college or university. The amount of the scholarship awarded is up to $5000, paid directly to the college or university for credit to the applicant’s account.
Eligibility and Evaluation Criteria
To be eligible to apply for the Gloria P. Thompson Scholarship, all applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Applicant must be a citizen of the United States of America (UNITED STATES).
- Applicant must be a high-school senior in good academic standing with the intent to graduate at the end of the academic year of application.
- Applicant must meet entrance requirements of and plan to enroll at an accredited NCAA Division III college or university for the following year. This scholarship is available only to divers who actually compete in an NCAA Division III program.
- Applicant must have been diving, successfully and regularly, for a minimum of two years and expect to dive collegiately in Division III for the next four years.
- Applicant must be a current member of USA Diving and have been a continuous member of USA Diving for at least the last three years and for the duration of any year in which a scholarship is granted.
- Applicant must be outstanding in character, integrity, and leadership. Applicant shall provide two reference letters from persons outside the Applicant’s family, addressing the Applicant’s character, work ethic, honesty and leadership and any other relevant characteristics.
Applicants are evaluated based on the above criteria for the Gloria P. Thompson Scholarship. The Scholarship may be awarded annually and may be renewed for a maximum of four annual awards by the Applicant making a separate application each year and being awarded the scholarship. Each year is a separate application process. For years after the first year, the scholarship will be based upon the above criteria plus academic eligibility and performance and continued athletic participation on the school’s diving team. The Scholarship Committee will interview finalists, but the final selection rests with the USDF Board of Trustees.
United States Diving Foundation reserves the right to grant or not grant scholarships to applicants in its sole discretion. United States Diving Foundation has no obligation to grant scholarships in any particular year, and may deny any and all applications in its sole uncontrolled discretion. United States Diving Foundation also reserves the right to change the criteria by which applications are evaluated at any time. Applicants have no contract or other rights to scholarship consideration unless and until United States Diving Foundation finally grants a pending application. Any scholarship granted is subject to the condition subsequent that the athlete enrolls and attends an NCAA Division III school and participates in its diving program. Although the scholarship will be conditionally awarded prior to the beginning of the collegiate academic year, the final award of the scholarship and payment will occur only after the diver provides proof of actual enrollment in a Division III school and provides confirmation from the school’s coach or other athletic official that the diver is a prospective member of the diving team. All decisions made by the United States Diving Foundation are final and not subject to review.
By submitting an application, each Applicant irrevocably agrees to the use of applicant’s likeness and name by the USDF for its publicity purposes, and accepts the foregoing terms and conditions. Any application submitted by a minor must be signed by the applicant and the applicant’s parents or guardian, individually and on behalf of the applicant.
How to Apply for the Gloria P. Thompson Scholarship
Application forms are available below. Completed applications may be submitted by December 31 of each year. Conditional Award notification will be on or before March 1 of the following year.